It is important that people are aware of the importance of proper dental care. Though our cause is to relieve less fortunate African children of poor dental hygiene, we want to also inform those who are unaware of the importance of keeping your oral cavity clean.
- Fluoridated toothpastes can lead to fluoride toxicity when ingested habitually by kids. Young children need supervision when using fluoridated toothpastes to make sure they spit it all out.
- Gaps in teeth encourage cavities. If you have a small gap between your teeth and can’t clean it, you’re more likely to develop tooth decay there.
- Gum disease may been linked to life-threatening diseases such as oral cancer, heart disease, diabetes and respiratory ailments.
- Tooth decay is the single most chronic childhood disease - five times more common than asthma and seven times more common than hay fever.
- Women with periodontal disease have at least a three to five times greater risk of preterm birth than those who are healthy.
- Children should regularly visit a dentist, starting at least 6 months after the first tooth appears.